Skip to main content

Homeschooling in the Summer



Current school room situation

A lot of well-meaning people have asked me if we are homeschooling throughout the summer. I'm not sure if it's due to the fact that they've heard of homeschooling families doing that, or if they just assume we must be behind and desperately trying to catch up 👀, but the frequency of the question prompted this post, so here's my answer.

We are doing "summer schooling." What that looks like is a semi-daily, light load of work, mostly made up of a math lesson, reading, and occasionally a page or two from whatever work book they have leftover from the school year. At the beginning of our summer break, it also included a mission-based curriculum that corresponded to what we learned about this past year in our Classical Conversations curriculum, but I confess June was a tough month for consistency and that has fallen by the wayside. Ideally, July will prove more fruitful in that department because the kids love the addition of our missions curriculum to our day. Regardless, it will return when we're full time in our lessons again this fall.

But for right now, I've slipped out of the mentality of "catching up" or finishing any particular book before the new school year begins, and instead I'm working on getting organized, beginning to plan for the new school year, preventing my kids from forgetting how to add and subtract, and encouraging them to read daily.

Admittedly, when tempers flare as a result of too much togetherness, I am quick to whip out a handwriting book or a math facts sheet, but mostly I am trying to relax into summer while it's still with us and let my kids do the same. The new school year and all of its schedules and demands will be here before I know it and summer will be but a memory. And anyways, catching up on math lessons is what Saturdays were made for. 😜

"How I Spent My Summer Vacation"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year 5: In Review

This year we completed our fifth year of homeschooling! Wow! While I'm not surprised to have made it this far in this journey (I'm almost as convicted as I am stubborn), I am surprised at how quickly five years have gone by. It seems like yesterday I was holding my breath, saying a prayer, and dropping my Notice of Intent to the school board into the outgoing mail slot at the post office downtown after I had dutifully registered Philip at our local "best" elementary school. Back then I wasn't sure if I was doing the right thing or not. Today I am sure I did. Each year of homeschooling has been different from the last, and this year was no exception. Lydia began kindergarten and her first formal year of homeschooling this past fall. Andrew was registered with the county as a second grader, and Philip as a fourth grader, although grade levels have become increasingly gray and arbitrary as the boys have moved through their primary level curriculums at their own uni...